Thursday, November 1, 2018

Profile: Amy Towne


This post is an installment of our profile series featuring participants, loved ones, advocates, and team members of the MBCproject. Thank you to all who have shared their voice and stories.

Today's profile features Amy Towne.

Q1. In your own words, can you share with us your reasons for joining the Metastatic Breast Cancer project (MBCproject)?

A little over two years ago I was diagnosed with Stage 4 de novo breast cancer. My first oncologist treated me with what I perceived as pity as she broke the news to me and my family, patting me on the shoulder and talking about quality of life. Instead of feeling comforted, I felt angry and motivated. I was 38 years old. I had a good marriage, two young children, and a thriving career. In short, I had everything to live for. After that first experience, I vowed to do whatever I could do to educate myself about and support research for MBC patients. Like all MBC patients, I want to see a cure to this disease in my lifetime.

Q2. Please tell us what being a part of the MBCproject means to you. 

It means that friends that I've made in the two years since my diagnosis, like Jenny, Brenda, and Lexi, won't have died in vain. It means carrying on their legacy of advocating for MBC patients and pushing for better treatment options and, I pray, a cure.

Q3. If you'd like to share, please tell us how it felt when you were diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.

My diagnosis felt like having the rug pulled out from underneath me. I always dreamt of seeing my boys grow up and suddenly I was confronted with a myriad of "what if's" that absolutely terrified me. For the first time in my life, I couldn't imagine my future. Because I'm determined to be here for my family, I was able to quickly switch into action mode and make the tough decisions necessary to pursue a treatment plan that has prolonged (and will hopefully save) my life.

Q4. In a few words, can you please share with us your hopes for the future of metastatic breast cancer? 

I hope for a cure...or at least treatment that changes MBC from a terminal disease to a chronic one.

No comments:

Post a Comment