Thursday, July 26, 2018

Profile: Caroline Rajasingh



This post is an installment of our profile series featuring participants, loved ones, advocates, and team members of the MBCproject. Thank you to all who have shared their voice and stories.

Today's profile features Caroline Rajasingh.

Q1. In your own words, can you share with us your reasons for joining the Metastatic Breast Cancer project (MBCproject)?
My main reason is to help improve the outcome for individuals diagnosed with MBC in the future. From what I read, the earlier stages of breast cancer are the most researched and receive most publicity. It’s important to get the message out about MBC too.


Q2. Please tell us what being a part of the MBCproject means to you.
I’m making a contribution to medical science. It makes me feel something positive is coming from a pretty negative situation.


Q3. If you'd like to share, please tell us how it felt when you were diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.

My disease was diagnosed after surgery for an enlarged ovary. The surgeon called one Monday afternoon with the full pathology report....metastatic lobular breast carcinoma. It was a big shock. The word metastatic kept repeating in my head. I was alone at the time and quickly went to my neighbor who is a good friend. We went for a walk and talked. I called some relatives. My world had turned upside down in a split second.


Q4. In a few words, can you please share with us your hopes for the future of metastatic breast cancer?

A cure. I heard recently about a lady who underwent immunotherapy at NIH. She had months to live but now has no evidence of disease. I hope immunotherapy will cure all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment