Thursday, August 2, 2018

Profile: Kristy Line


This post is an installment of our profile series featuring participants, loved ones, advocates, and team members of the MBCproject. Thank you to all who have shared their voice and stories.

Today's profile features Kristy Line.

Q1. In your own words, can you share with us your reasons for joining the Metastatic Breast Cancer project (MBCproject)? 

Because I believe in research...research is what will find a cure. Not pink ribbons.

Q2. Please tell us what being a part of the MBCproject means to you.

I feel privileged to be a part of a program developed by some brilliant minds whose research on the science of MBC will lead to more information and data as to why 30% of early stage breast cancers return as metastatic and why some present de novo.

Q3. If you'd like to share, please tell us how it felt when you were diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.

I found out I had MBC as a result of a rather serendipitous mountain bike crash. After having raced all season the year before, I had been struggling with breathing while climbing at altitude on my bike. The crash resulted in a broken and dislocated shoulder and the X-ray showed a massive pleural effusion. At that moment I knew it was back, just 2 1/2 years after stage 2A diagnosis at the age of 36. I felt helpless and at a loss as to how my body had let me down after I had worked so hard to do everything “right”. I have since found out I carry a genetic mutation called CHEK2. Now nearly 4 years later, I am learning to “live” with MBC.... one day at a time. One pedal stroke at a time.

Q4. In a few words, can you please share with us your hopes for the future of metastatic breast cancer?

I hope that with research, we can find treatments so that people may live long lives with MBC.... of course a cure would be the ultimate goal, but in the near future, finding new targeted treatments so that we may “live” with MBC with a reasonable quality of life would be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment