Thursday, August 9, 2018

Profile: Carol L. Smith


This post is an installment of our profile series featuring participants, loved ones, advocates, and team members of the MBCproject. Thank you to all who have shared their voice and stories.

Today's profile features Carol L. Smith

Q1. In your own words, can you share with us your reasons for joining the Metastatic Breast Cancer project (MBCproject)?

As an MIT alum I'm proud to be part of an organization that combines the science of MIT with a broad community of people using data to find patterns, and, hopefully, a cure for breast cancer.

Q2. Please tell us what being a part of the MBCproject means to you.

Being part of a crowdsourced dataset to help researchers find a cure for breast cancer is a way to feel like I'm doing something. Cancer can make you feel powerless-- your body is betraying you. By being a part of the MBCproject I'm using (literally) a part of myself hopefully to benefit myself and others.


Q3. If you'd like to share, please tell us how it felt when you were diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.

Devastated. I'm a runner, and the year prior to my diagnosis was the best year of my running life. I was in the best shape of my life and I thought I had put my breast cancer behind me. Instead the cancer decided to return, forcing me to stop running for 4 months and requiring surgery, radiation, and drugs for the rest of my life.


Q4. In a few words, can you please share with us your hopes for the future of metastatic breast cancer?

I'm hopeful for a cure for all types of breast cancer. I want to live to 100! I'll be lucky to make it to 60 with current science.



No comments:

Post a Comment