Thursday, October 18, 2018

Profile: Emily Garnett



This post is an installment of our profile series featuring participants, loved ones, advocates, and team members of the MBCproject. Thank you to all who have shared their voice and stories.

Today's profile features Emily Garnett.

Q1. In your own words, can you share with us your reasons for joining the Metastatic Breast Cancer project (MBCproject)?

 After I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer, I needed to know that this diagnosis which had rocked my world was able to provide some good, and do something helpful for others. Providing samples for research felt like such an easy way to really contribute and make a difference in research that could potentially save my life.

Q2. Please tell us what being a part of the MBCproject means to you. 

I feel connected with a community of people who share my disease, and people who I have never met, but who are willing to take the time to contribute to research that can possible help me. It is a group that is happily building up strangers, all of whom are so interconnected because of our shared experience with this disease.

Q3. If you'd like to share, please tell us how it felt when you were diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer when I was 32. My son had just turned two years old, and I had just celebrated my fifth wedding anniversary. I spent a good part of the first two months crying, looking in the mirror and waiting for my reflection to begin to fade. I had no concept of the path ahead of me, and whether the road would lead to a fast death from that diagnosis. Now, I know that the diagnosis is not an immediate death sentence, and I have a better understanding that life with metastatic breast cancer can still be life, even though it is much more burdensome navigating this disease.

Q4. In a few words, can you please share with us your hopes for the future of metastatic breast cancer? 

Put simply, I hope for a ways to medically resolve the disease. I am optimistic for treatments that lead it to become a chronic condition, a possible eradication of the cells in the body: a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment